About Local 550
What we consist of
Local 550 (Developmental & Community Services) is a composite Local representing Broadview Village, Evangaline Residence, Islington Seniors’ Centre, and the P.L.U.S. program. We currently have over 250 Members. As an employee of any of these organizations you become a member of OPSEU and pay union dues. This means you are protected by the Collective Agreement.
Every new employee is an unsigned member and has the right to file a grievance, as well as to be represented by, protected by, and to vote on the Collective Agreement.
However, if you're employed in a workplace represented by OPSEU, this doesn’t automatically make you a member of the Local. You need to sign a union card. Signing a membership application gives you a voice in your union, in your Local, and across the province.
Advantages of Membership
- You can participate in the meetings of your OPSEU Local, and vote for its leaders.
- You can serve in an elected position in your Local, as a steward, a member of the Local Executive or a member of your bargaining team.
- You can take part in OPSEU educational programs.
- You can take advantage of member discounts on cell phone packages, home and auto insurance, legal protections, some travel opportunities and tickets to professional sports events.
- You can receive information from the union by mail or electronically.
- OPSEU locals are funded according to the number of members they represent.
Your Voice on Union Business
Membership in OPSEU Local 550 is your voice on Union business! Signing a membership application gives you more opportunities, a larger voice! When you sign a membership application you become a signed member.
If you haven’t signed one already, you can find all necessary documents in our resources.
Local 550 is part of the Ontario Public Service Employees Union. Visit OPSEU’s website to find out about the other 155,000 OPSEU members across Ontario.
Local 550 Needs Your Support
The Local works best when there is a Steward from every site. A Steward understands the unique issues of that site, so they are best qualified to represent those members.